In Ayurvedic classics, Sneha Kalpana has gained importance. Sneha Kalpana has been introduced as a Pharmaceutical preparation only in the Samhita period. It consists of Samskara-anuvarthitwa guna Sneha can enhance the therapeutic properties of the drugs which are used in the preparation which makes the Ghrita Kalpana superior in the context of Sneha Kalpana.
Pippalyadi Ghrita is polyherbal Ayurvedic medicine. Pippalayadi Ghrita is such a preparation that is mainly indicated in Jwara. It is medicated ghee prepared by boiling ghee with prescribed Kalka (fine paste) of herbs as given in the formula. The principal ingredient of this medicine is Pippali. Pippali (Piper longum) or long pepper is an effective herb for treating digestive and respiratory diseases.
पिप्पल्यश्चन्दन मुस्तामुशीरं कटुरोहिणी|
कालिंगकास्तामलकी सारीवाऽतिविषा स्थिरा||
द्राक्षामलकबिल्वानि त्रायमाणा नीदिग्धिका|
सिद्धमेतैघृतं सद्यो जीर्णज्वरमपोहति ||
क्षयं कासं शिरःशुलं पार्श्वशुलं हलीमकम्|
अंसाभितापमग्नि च विषमं संनियच्छति||
– च. चि. ३ /२१९ – २२१
- Pippali – Long pepper
- Chandana – Santalum album
- Musta – Cyprus rotondus
- Usheera – Vetiveria zizaniodes
- Katurohini – Picrorhiza kurroa
- Kalingaka – Kalinga ornata
- Tamlaki – Phyllanthus fraternus
- Sariva – Hemidesmus indicus
- Ativisha – Aconitum heterophylum
- Sthira – Desmodium gangeticum
- Draksha – Vitis vinifera
- Amalaki – Emblica officinalis
- Bilva – Aegle marmelos
- Trayamana – Genitiana kurroo
- Nidighdhika – Solanum xanthocarpum
Crude powder of herbs in ingredient is taken Boil it till the volume is reduced to ¼ of its original volume to get the Kwatha or decoction.
Cool the Kwatha and filter it through a muslin cloth to remove impurities.
Treat the normal Ghrita to prepare Murcchita Ghrita.
Dry and powder the aromatic herbs for Kalka or paste separately.
Ground them together with the required quantity of water to make a smooth paste.
Half or a teaspoon with warm water before a meal.
Pippalyadi ghrita is therapeutically used in Jirnajwara, Kshaya, Kasa, Shirashul, Parshvashul, Halimak, Ansabhitapa, and Vishamagni.
- Respiratory System – Pippalyadi Ghrita acts on the lungs and improves lung strength so used in diseases like cough, asthma, dyspnea, pneumonia e.t.c.
- Digestive System – It improves Digestion, due to antimicrobial action used in diseases like constipation, and worm infection.
- Nervous System – Improves intelligence, induces behavioral alterations, and increases memory power.
- Cardiovascular System – It increases the strength of the heart and vessels so used in various cardiovascular diseases like hypertension
- Musculoskeletal System – Due to antipyretic and antispasmodic action, It is used in diseases like arthritis, rheumatic arthritis, muscular spasm, and myalgia.
- Endocrine System – It improves endocrine secretions by enhancing signals to respective glands and promoting secretion.