In the Ayurvedic text of Ashtanga Hrudaya, Aacharya Vagbhata mentions the features of poisoned food which can be easily identified by common people.
ओदनो विषवान् सान्द्रो यात्यर्वास्त्राव्यतामिव ।
चिरेन पच्यते पक्वो भवेत्पयुर्षितोपम् ॥
मयूरकण्ठतुल्योष्मा मोहमूर्छाप्रसेककृत ।
ह्रीयते वर्णगन्धाधैः क्लिद्यते चन्द्रिकाचितः ॥
(अ.हृ.सू – ७/३-४)
- The boiled rice, which is mixed with poison becomes thick and unable to flow out of the vessel.
- Takes long time to cook.
- Cooked ones become most (stable) very soon.
- When thrown on fire emits flames resembling the colour of the pecock’s neck (Blue).
- Produces delusion, fainting and excess salivation.
- Looses quickly its colour, taste etc.