Vasadi Ghrita is a Sneha preparation obtained by the process of Snehapaka mentioned in Sneha Kalpana. Sneha Kalpana is a group of products of medicated Taila and Ghrita, these drugs are medicating a very wide range of diseases among patients of all age groups. Vasadi Ghrita is a type of this sneha preparation, mostly of ghrita origin. The liposomal system of drug delivery is a new invention in the conventional system of medicine. This system is also covering a high degree of the objective of therapeutics at different targets successfully. Probably there is a very distinctive similarity between these two on account of their aqueous and oleaginous origin. Most likely, these are two faces of the same coin. A brief survey of the literature is done here to face the same coin.
A brief survey of the literature is done here to explore possibilities of further investigation for benefit of mankind by applying the wisdom of both fields together. This is a review paper based on certain hypotheses which may be established or rejected factually by further research. Sneha Kalpana is one of the important dosages widely described in Ayurvedic pharmaceutics. Medicated oil/ ghee is one of the important dosage forms widely described in Ayurvedic literature.
वासां गुडूचीं त्रिफालां त्रायमाणां यवासकाम्|
पक्त्वा तेन काषायेण पयसा द्विगुणेन च||
कल्कीकृतैश्च विपचेध्दृतं जीर्णज्वरापहम्||
-च .चि ३/२२३
INGREDIENTS OF VASADI GHRITA
- Vasa – Adatoda vasika
- Guduchi – Tinospora cordifolia
- Amalaki – Embilika officinale
- Bibhitaki – Terminalia belerica
- Haritaki – Terminalia chebula
- Trayamana – Swerita chirata
- Vasaka – Fogania arabica
- Pippali – Piper longum
- Nagarmotha – Cyperus rutundus
- Draksha – Vitis vinifera
- Chandana – Santalum album
- Utapala – Nelumbo nucifera
- Shunthi – Zingiber officinale
- Take ghrita and add a double amount of decoction of Vasa, Guduchi, Triphala, Trayamana, and Dhamasa in it.
- Add a double amount of cow’s milk in it.
- Then add crude paste of Pippali, Nagaramotha, Draksha, Chandana, Nialakamal, Shunthi.
- Cook this mixture still Sneha Siddhi Lakshana.
10 gm two times a day with lukewarm water.
BENEFITS OF VASADI GHRITA
According to Charakacharya Vasadi Ghrita is used in Jirnajwara.
Effect on Doshas – It balances Pitta and Kapha Dosha so used in Kaphaj and Pittaj Vikara.
- Respiratory system – It improves breathing and gives strength to the lungs so useful in various respiratory diseases like cold, cough, asthma, chronic bronchitis, and chronic respiratory infections. etc.
- Digestive system – It improves digestion, and nutrient absorption so helpful in verious gastrointestinal tract diseases such as improper digestion, vomiting, etc.
- Cardiovascular system – It acts as a cardiac tonic that’s why used in cardiac diseases like HTN
- Lymphatic system – It helps in Blood production, maintenance of fluid balance, and defense against disease, detoxifying blood so used in skin diseases, bleeding disorders, hemorrhoids, etc.
- Musculoskeletal system – It provides form, support, stability, and movement to the body and relieves pain and inflammation, useful in rheumatoid arthritis, arthritis, and muscular pain.
- Urinary system – It acts as a diuretic so helpful in verious urinary tract infections such as diabetes, and polyuria.